Monday, August 4, 2008

life on the Square

I am having a great time on Temple Square. I did get to play a hymn on the Tabernacle Organ, after a recital. Not all organists would meet my request to touch it. After he said to come up , I put my hands on the keyboard and he put on a registration. I even played two keyboards. He said "I have a hymn book if you want to play". I was so nervous, that I said "I don't need one, I am too nervous". So I played by ear "How Gentle God's Command." It may never happen again, but there was the right organist, the right place and the right time. One of God's tender mercies happened and I fulfilled a life long dream.

We have so many neat experiences here. It is fantastic to meet all the sisters. We were asked to give a short talk in Zone Conference last week. Dad told the story of our ancestor Ezra T Clark. The mission Pres then asked for the information about Ezra T Clarks son dying in Palestine and the Church being able to build the Jerusalem Center because they found his grave. Quite a story.

One of the sister missionaries, came to me after and said Ezra T Clark was also her ancestor. I guess we are distantly related. The sisters are so neat and easy to get to know. They have such a knowledge of the gospel and say it so well. When they are busy, we as Senior Missionaries get to answer peoples questions. A Jewish lady talked to me today and asked me how they thought about Jews. We had a long conversation, I hope she was pleased with what I told her. Just one example that happens allot on Temple Square.

I enjoy choir and Dad tolerates it. We sang last Sunday. I am trying to remember all the things I was taught in Ward Choir. We went to a fantastic concert Saturday night. Dad tolerated it but some of the high sounds and an uncomfortable chair made it so we left after two 2 hours. If it would have been shorter it would have been more fantastic. They were all young artists and Marvin Goldstein played the piano as a soloist and accompanist. Unbelievable, there was a thirteen year old concert pianist I am sure will be famous some day. He played for long minutes without any music. The other artist were so accomplished and had beautiful voices. Too bad it was so long.

We went to two other concerts last week. The family of Bastains was 6 people who played piano and they were so unique and talented. We get to do so many things because we are close to every thing being on Temple Square

1 comment:

Angel said...

Playing on the Tabernacle Organ -- what an amazing experience. I hope that you burned that memory hard into the back of your head, so that you can bring it up and replay it whenever you want to. Amazing!