Sunday, January 11, 2009

January slows

January is now here and things have really slowed down.  The Christmas lights have been turned off and are now starting to be removed.  The amount of visitors on the Square has really slowed down.  It is nice because now we have time to visit more with the people that come here.  The Christmas time is so busy that the missionaries really don't have time visit with them.  Sister Glad continues to get referrals all of the time I don't really do so well as her.  She is so special as a missionary.  She can see and feel the people who come here that will accept missionaries to come to their home.  I would like to share some of the her experiences.  

Monday was really cold.  We were working in the Tabernacle, very few people were coming.  We had four young women come in to visit and get cold they were from Taylorsville.  Mom noticed that as the were talking "Mormon talk" one of them was holding back.  Sister Glad asked her if she was a member of the Church.  She said no, that She was from back east and was visiting with her cousins family here in Utah.  Mom then asked her is She would like to know more about our church and got a referral.

Some people came in at the South Gate.  I asked them is they would like to take a tour with the Sisters, they said No, then I asked them If they would like a map of the Square, No again.  Sister Glad was in the booth and She leaned out and asked them if they would like to know more about the Church.  Yes, they also wanted a Book of Mormon.  

South Gate again, guests came and were talking to Mom about how they enjoyed the tour with the Sisters.  She asked them if they had filled out a comment card about how they enjoyed the tour. They said yes that they had.  She asked them if they had checked any of the boxes on the bottom of the card, They didn't know what the boxes were.  Mom said that there if they wanted to have representatives of the church come to visit them and give them a Book of Mormon.  They said yes they filled out another card with the correct information so the missionaries could visit them.

South Visitors Center, a guest who when asked if she wanted to take a tour said she didn't have time.  So Sister glad talked to her and found that She came to Utah once a month from Oregon to take piano lessons from a very special instructor.  They talked about music, when some how Mom was able to bring the conversation around to the Church. She agreed to have the missionaries come to her home.  

Each case they would not made a referral by the normal methods but Sister Glad was in tune to the spirit and knew they would respond if approached differently.

Early sad times.  My Mom died of a heart attack when I was in 4th grade.  My brother and I came home from a Ward Movie to find an ambulance in front of our house and learn that She was gone.  She died in December just prior to Christmas.  It was really hard for my dad to be both Mom and Dad for us.  The most cruel thing that happened to me during that time was in School. I arrived to School early one day to find the teacher and I alone.  She took me in the wash room and proceeded to wash my face and berated me because I had not washed good enough that day.  She they proceeded to tell me that Abraham Lincoln was always washed even though his mother had died.  I was heart broken so have some one that didn't care enough to find out what my situation was and say such unkind works. It still hurts me to think of the experience.

No comments: