Saturday, February 19, 2011

Books of Mormon

I was working at D I on assignment for our D. I. drive Week, pricing and sorting books when one of the employees brought me two books to ask me if I could understand the language they were written in. I recognized the Script as the same as a book on display in the Beehive House the "Deseret Alphabet" I explained to them that they were most likely very rare books.
Front of Book #1

They put them the the Collectible section and priced them at $ 200 each. The person in charge of that area said to me that that was a terrible price and no one in their right mind would pay that much for old books.
Title page of Book #1

Book #2

Upon going home I did some Research on the books and found that the Deseret University had published several different books in the Deseret Alphabet in 1869. The Two books at D. I. were "Selections from the Book of Mormon" one of the more rare of the publications.

The price of these Books on some rare book sites on the Internet was about $2000.00.
I called Benchmark Books, Kurt Bench's rare book store. They said that the books would most likely would not be less than $ 350.00 each. The books are in excellent condition, tomake the story short our Family is now the proud owners of two rare books. I think that I will keep them.

2 comments:

Melody said...

OH WOW that is sooo stinking cool!!!

Clay Glad said...

"Books of Mormon"... humm... I thought the correct plural was "copies of the Book of Mormon"....

Great Grab.. I look forward to letting Aaron try and read them!